A limited-validity passport is any regular passport that is issued for less than the full validity period (10 years for those 16 and older and 5 years for children under 16). The process to apply for a full-validity passport depends on the reason the limited-validity passport was issued.
To replace your still valid limited validity U.S. passport with a full validity passport, please submit:
1. Application Form DS-5504
We strongly recommend you use the Department of State’s online passport application form. If you have difficulties using the online process, you can download, print and fill out the PDF version of the DS-5504 Application for a U.S. passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement (PDF 81.72 KB).
- You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f). If you have never been issued a U.S. Social Security number, you must submit a signed statement (PDF). For more information please visit the Frequently Asked Questions provided at the U.S. Department of State’s website.
- List your current physical address in Albania as your “mailing address” in response to question #8, even if you will only be at that location for a few days.
2. Current Limited Passport
Bring your limited validity passport that is still valid.
3. Application Photo
You must provide one new photo with the application. Please do not use the same photo as in the current limited passport.
- Photo must be 2″ x 2″, or 5cm x 5cm.
- Do not attach your photo to the form before submitting it to our office.
To avoid processing delays, be sure the photo meets all photo requirements.
4. Application Fee
You will not have to pay any fees if you paid the fees when you applied for your limited validity passport and that passport is still valid.
5. Schedule an Online Appointment
You can make an appointment by visiting our Online Consular Calendar.
Please note: Electronic devices such tablets, notepads, and/or laptops are not allowed on Embassy grounds; while cellphones can be placed in designated areas inside the security booth.
Receiving your Passport
Full validity passports are printed in the U.S. and are generally available for pickup at the embassy or courier delivery about 7 to 14 business days after your application is accepted. You will receive an automated email when the passport is produced and ready for delivery. If for some reason you do not receive notice from our office, please contact us via email or appear after the above period passes to inquire about the status of your passport.
If you would like to have your new passport delivered via private courier, please inform us at the time you submit your application. The cost for each passport is 500 ALL within Tirana and 600 ALL outside of the Tirana area. Payment is collected by the Albanian Courier office when you pick up your passport. (Please note that passports are not delivered directly to your address but rather at an Albanian Courier delivery point. The Albanian Courier officials will text or call your number to let you know where and when to pick up your passport in your city.)
If you have questions about passports not answered on our website, please email us at ACSTirana@state.gov.