In support of the Government of Albania’s efforts to prevent further spread of COVID-19 by limiting public gatherings and increasing social spacing, the U.S. Embassy has cancelled all routine American citizen services and is providing emergency services only. If you require an emergency service, please write to ACSTirana@state.gov.
You can use this adult passport renewal process if your current passport:
- Is submitted with your application
- Is undamaged (other than normal “wear and tear”)
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Was issued within the last 15 years
- Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order).
If any of the above statements do not apply to you, please follow the instructions on our First Time Adult Applicants page.
Child Support Payments (if applicable)
If You Are Under 16 Years Old
- All passport applicants must apply in person.
- Original documents that you will provide at the time of the appointment will be returned to you.
- Please make sure to bring clear photocopies of these documents for us to keep.
Please Prepare to Bring
Application Form DS-82
Passport applications need to be complete and as accurate as possible. Please avoid making mistakes and/or corrections otherwise your application may be delayed and/or you will be asked to reschedule your appointment to appear another day.
- 1. We recommended you use the Department of State’s online passport application form. If you choose to use the online service, please note that:
- you cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section of the form. Please list an emergency contact in the United States;
- when asked to select the payment method, be aware that the additional services’ fees (e.g. mailing or expedited) do not apply when you apply overseas; you may want to select only the passport book and/or card payments;
- after making sure the information entered is correct to the best of your knowledge, you need to press the button “Create Form”;
- as soon as the form is created in PDF format, you need to print it. We will not be able to retrieve the form electronically if you do not submit it.
- If you have difficulties using the online passport wizard, you may download the PDF version of DS-82 (PDF 81.26 KB) and print a blank copy. You may then fill out the form using blank ink only.
- Whichever version of the form you choose to submit, please make sure to:
- sign and date the form;
- you must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f). If you have never been issued a U.S. Social Security number, you must submit a signed statement (PDF). For more information please visit the Frequently Asked Questions provided at the U.S. Department of State’s website.
- List your current physical address in Albania as your “mailing address” in response to question #8, even if you will only be at that location for a few days. Please note that we will not mail your passport at this address. You may request to use mail-back service as provided later on this page.
Current U.S. Passport
You must submit your most recent passport with your application.
- Your U.S. passport book and/or card must meet all of the requirements listed at the top of this page.
- Your old passport book and/or card will be returned to you.
Name Change Documents (if applicable)
If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide a certified copy of the legal name change document. Examples include:
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce decree
- Court-ordered name change document
Your name change document will be returned to you.
You must provide one photo with the application.
- Photo must be 2″ x 2″, or 5cm x 5cm;
- Submit a color photo, taken in last 6 months;
- Use a clear image of your face that reflects your true skin tone. Do not use filters commonly used on social media;
- Have someone else take your photo. No selfies;
- Take off your eyeglasses for your photo;
- Use a plain white or off-white background.
To avoid processing delays, be sure the photo meets all photo requirements.
|Passport Book Only||$110|
|Passport Card Only||$30|
|Passport Book & Card Both||$140|
Fees are payable at the time of your appointment when you submit your application in either dollars, leke, or by credit card.
Note: The passport card is used to enter the United States at the land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The passport card can also be used for domestic air travel. The passport card may not be used for international air travel. If you would like to apply for a card too, please select the appropriate box on top of the application form.
Once You Have Gathered the Above Documentation
At the Time of Your Appointment
Entry to Consular Section
- Please appear by the consular gate in time.
- Let the security officer know that you have an appointment.
- Show your appointment confirmation letter together with an ID (U.S. passport preferred).
- If your name is not on the appointment list, for security reasons the security officer will not let you inside the consular facility.
- If that’s the case and you believe that you have actually scheduled your appointment, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or request to confirm it via phone with the consular staff.
Please note: Electronic devices and other objects (e.g. tablets or laptops, pocket knives, etc.) are not allowed inside embassy premises; while you may leave your phone in the designated area as instructed by the security officer.
- As soon as you enter the consular area, please appear inside the customer service space and go to the appropriate servicing window.
- At this window a consular assistant will collect your documentation and explain the passport renewal process.
- Processing times vary from 30 to 60 minutes depending on the daily load.
Receiving your Passport
Full validity passports are printed in the U.S. and are generally available for pickup at the embassy or courier delivery about 7 to 10 business days after your application is accepted.
Pick up at the Embassy in person:
- You will receive an automated email when the passport is produced and ready for pick up.
- If for some reason you do not receive notice from our office, please contact us via email.
- You may also appear after the above period passes to inquire about the status of your passport.
Private Courier Delivery:
- If you would like to have your new passport delivered via private courier, please inform us at the time you submit your application.
- The cost for each passport is 500 ALL within Tirana and 600 ALL outside of the Tirana area.
- Payment is collected by the Albanian Courier office when you pick up your passport.
- Please note that passports are not delivered directly to your address but rather at an Albanian Courier delivery point.
- The Albanian Courier officials will text or call your number to let you know where and when to pick up your passport in your city.
If you have questions about passports not answered on our website, please email us at ACSTirana@state.gov.