Parental Consent

Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16

Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to appear with the child in person to apply for the passport.

What if both parents/guardians cannot appear in person?

You have sole legal authority You must submit evidence of this with the application. Examples include:

  • Complete court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply for your child’s passport (photocopy is acceptable)
  • Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person
One parent unable to appear If one parent/guardian cannot appear with the child to apply for the passport, they can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent.” (PDF 52 KB).  You must submit the completed form with the child’s passport application. The parent that cannot appear with the child must:

  • Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public in United States or in front of a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad, and
    (Note: This form can also be accepted by some foreign country’s notary public, depending in what country the non-appearing parent is.)
  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that they present to the notary public with Form DS-3053.

There is no fee for this service if performed at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.  To schedule an appointment to execute a statement of consent at the U.S. Embassy in Tirana, please visit our online appointment calendar and select “notarial service.”

You cannot locate the other parent You must submit Form DS-5525 “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances” (PDF 48 KB).

  • Please complete the form with as much detail as possible.
  • We may ask for additional information (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to protect against international parental child abduction.
Neither parent able to appear A third party may apply for the child’s passport with a notarized statement from both parents/guardians giving that third party permission to apply for the child.

  • The statement must include a photocopy of the parents/guardians’ identification.
  • When the statement is from only one parent/guardian, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the consenting parent/guardian.


Please Note: Written authorization from the parent that cannot appear in person must be less than three months old.


Please contact us at if you have questions about two parent consent not answered here.