Lost or Stolen Passport

If your U.S. passport has been stolen, please obtain a police report if possible.  You should promptly report the loss or theft of your passport to the nearest U.S. Embassy.

To replace a lost of stolen passport, you should:

  1. Complete form DS-64.  You can use either the Department of State’s online passport application form of the PDF version of the DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport Book and/or Card (PDF 50.88 KB).
  2. If you are over 16, please follow the instructions on our First Time Applicants (Age 16 and Over) page to complete your passport application.
  3. If you are under 16, please follow the instructions on our Children’s Passport Applicants page to complete your passport application.

If you have travel planned in the next two weeks, see our Emergency Passports page for information on how to schedule an expedited appointment.

Once you report your passport lost or stolen, it is no longer valid for travel.  If you subsequently recover your passport, you will still need to apply for a new one.  If you try to travel on a passport you reported lost or stolen, you could be detained, denied boarding for a flight, or denied entry into your destination country.