Apply for a Child’s Passport

All passport applicants under 16 must apply in person.  Passports for children under 16 are only valid for 5 years.  All original documents that you will provide at the time of the appointment will be returned to you.  Please make sure to bring clear photocopies of these documents for us to keep.

Required Documentation

All passport applicants must apply in person. Original documents that you will provide at the time of the appointment will be returned to you. Please make sure to bring clear photocopies of these documents for us to keep.

Please Prepare to Bring

Passport applications need to be complete and as accurate as possible.  Please avoid making mistakes and/or corrections otherwise your application may be delayed, and/or you will be asked to reschedule your appointment to appear another day.

  1. We recommended you use the Department of State’s online passport application form.  If you choose to use the online service, please note that:
    • you cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section of the form. Please list an emergency contact in the United States;
    • when asked to select the payment method, be aware that the additional services’ fees (e.g. mailing or expedited) do not apply when you apply overseas; you may want to select only the passport book and/or card payments;
    • after making sure the information entered is correct to the best of your knowledge, you need to press the button “Create Form”;
    • as soon as the form is created in PDF format, you need to print it.  We will not be able to retrieve the form electronically if you do not submit it.
  2. If you have difficulties using the online passport wizard, you may download the PDF version of DS-11 (PDF 101 KB) and print a blank copy.  You may then fill out the form using blank ink only.
  3. Whichever version of the form you choose to submit, please make sure to:
    • DO NOT sign the form (must be done under oath);
    • you must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f). If you have never been issued a U.S. Social Security number, you must submit a signed statement (PDF).  For more information please visit the Frequently Asked Questions provided at the U.S. Department of State’s website.
    • List your current physical address in Albania as your “mailing address” in response to question #8, even if you will only be at that location for a few days.  Please note that we will not mail your passport at this address.  You may request to use mailing services as provided below on this page.

You must submit one of the following U.S. citizenship documents for your child.  Your evidence must be an original or certified copy of the original.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired):
    • Note: Consular officers might request your child’s progression photos if your child’s passport was issued when the child was a baby.  If that’s the case, we recommend you bring clear photos of your child growth (e.g.: every 6 months) from the time the previous passport photo was taken until present time.
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists the parent(s)’ full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar’s signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents for your child, or for more information, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s web-page Citizenship Evidence.

You must submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport.

The following may be used to show parental relationship:

  • U.S. birth certificate (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Adoption decree
  • Divorce/Custody decree

Please note: Some documents, like a U.S. birth certificate, show both U.S. citizenship and parental relationship. These documents must be originals.

The parents/guardians must present one of the following identification documents (IDs):

  • In-state, fully-valid driver’s license
  • Valid or expired, undamaged, U.S. passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
  • U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s web-page Identification.

Note: You and your child may have different last names, as long as the parental relationship document lists your full name. If your name has changed from that on the parental relationship document, please submit proof of your legal name change (e.g. marriage certificate or court order).

Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to appear with the child in person to apply for the passport.

What if both parents/guardians cannot appear in person?
Situation: Solution:
You have sole legal authority You must submit evidence of this with the application. Examples include:

  • Complete court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply for your child’s passport (photocopy is acceptable)
  • Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person
One parent unable to appear If one parent/guardian cannot appear with the child to apply for the passport, they can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent.” (PDF 52 KB).  You must submit the completed form with the child’s passport application. The parent that cannot appear with the child must:

  • Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public in United States or in front of a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad, and
    (Note: This form can also be accepted by some foreign country’s notary public, depending in what country the non-appearing parent is.)
  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that they present to the notary public with Form DS-3053.

There is no fee for this service if performed at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.  To schedule an appointment to execute a statement of consent at the U.S. Embassy in Tirana, please visit our online appointment calendar and select “notarial service.”

You cannot locate the other parent You must submit Form DS-5525 “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances” (PDF 48 KB).

  • Please complete the form with as much detail as possible.
  • We may ask for additional information (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to protect against international parental child abduction.
Neither parent able to appear A third party may apply for the child’s passport with a notarized statement from both parents/guardians giving that third party permission to apply for the child.

  • The statement must include a photocopy of the parents/guardians’ identification.
  • When the statement is from only one parent/guardian, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the consenting parent/guardian.


Please Note: Written authorization from the parent that cannot appear in person must be less than three months old.

You must provide one photo of the child with the application.

Please note:

  • Photo must be 2″ x 2″, or 5cm x 5cm.
  • Do not attach your photo to the form before submitting it to our office.

Tips for taking photos of infants and newborns:

  • Lay the child on its back on a white blanket or sheet to ensure its head is supported without the aid of a hand.
  • Alternatively, cover a car seat with a plain white sheet and take a picture of your child in the car seat.
  • Please make sure no other person is in the photo.
  • A photo with the child looking at the camera is preferred, although not required.

To avoid processing delays, be sure the photo meets all photo requirements.

Child Applicants:

Current fees for passport services are available here.

Fees are payable at the time of your appointment when you submit your application in either dollars, leke, or by credit card.

Once You Have Gathered the Above Documentation

Both parents and the child must appear in person. If one parent cannot appear, please follow the Parental Consent instructions.  You can make an appointment by visiting our Online Consular Calendar.

At the Time of Your Appointment

Please appear by the consular gate and let the security officer know that you have an appointment with a consular officer by presenting your appointment confirmation letter together with an ID (U.S. passport preferred).  If you did not print the confirmation letter, you may show its image from your smart phone; or if you were not able to save it, show your passport (or an ID).  The embassy’s security officer will check your name against the daily appointment list to confirm that you actually have an appointment scheduled and will give you access to the consular facility.  If your name is not on the appointment list, for security reasons the security officer will not let you inside the consular facility.  If that’s the case and you believe that you have actually scheduled your appointment, please email us at, or request to confirm it via phone with the consular staff.

Please note: Electronic devices and other objects (e.g. tablets or laptops, pocket knives, etc.) are not allowed inside embassy premises; while you may leave your phone in the designated area as instructed by the security officer.

As soon as you enter the consular area, please appear inside the customer service space and go to the appropriate servicing window.  At this window a consular assistant will collect your documentation and explain the passport renewal process.  Processing times vary from 30 to 60 minutes depending on the daily load.

Full validity passports are printed in the U.S. and are generally available for pickup at the embassy or courier delivery about 7 to 14 business days after your application is accepted. You will receive an automated email when the passport is produced and ready for delivery. If for some reason you do not receive notice from our office, please contact us via email or appear after the above period passes to inquire about the status of your passport.

If you would like to have your new passport delivered via private courier, please inform us at the time you submit your application. The cost for each passport is 500 ALL within Tirana and 600 ALL outside of the Tirana area. Payment is collected by the Albanian Courier office when you pick up your passport. (Please note that passports are not delivered directly to your address but rather at an Albanian Courier delivery point. The Albanian Courier officials will text or call your number to let you know where and when to pick up your passport in your city.)

If you have questions about passports not answered on our website, please email us at