All passport applicants over 16 must apply in person. Passports for adults over 16 are only valid for 10 years. All original documents that you will provide at the time of the appointment will be returned to you. Please make sure to bring clear photocopies of these documents for us to keep.
To apply for your first adult (over 16) U.S. passport, you will need:
1. Application Form DS-11
Passport applications need to be complete and as accurate as possible. Please avoid making mistakes and/or corrections otherwise your application may be delayed, and/or you will be asked to reschedule your appointment to appear another day.
- We recommended you use the Department of State’s online passport application form. If you choose to use the online service, please note that:
- you cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section of the form. Please list an emergency contact in the United States;
- when asked to select the payment method, be aware that the additional services’ fees (e.g. mailing or expedited) do not apply when you apply overseas; you may want to select only the passport book and/or card payments;
- after making sure the information entered is correct to the best of your knowledge, you need to press the button “Create Form”;
- as soon as the form is created in PDF format, you need to print it. We will not be able to retrieve the form electronically if you do not submit it.
- If you have difficulties using the online passport wizard, you may download the PDF version of DS-11 (PDF 101 KB) and print a blank copy. You may then fill out the form using blank ink only.
- Whichever version of the form you choose to submit, please make sure to:
- DO NOT sign the form (must be done under oath);
- you must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f). If you have never been issued a U.S. Social Security number, you must submit a signed statement (PDF). For more information please visit the Frequently Asked Questions provided at the U.S. Department of State’s website.
- List your current physical address in Albania as your “mailing address” in response to question #8, even if you will only be at that location for a few days. Please note that we will not mail your passport at this address. You may request to use mailing services as provided below on this page.
2. U.S. Citizenship Evidence
You must submit one of the following U.S. citizenship documents. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.
- Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
- U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
- Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
- Lists applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth
- Lists the parent(s)’ full names
- Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
- Has the registrar’s signature
- Has the seal of the issuing authority
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Certificate of Citizenship
If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents for your child, or for more information, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s web-page Citizenship Evidence.
3. Parental Awareness (if applicable)
If you have your own current identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport. You must show at least one parent or guardian knows that you are applying for a passport. We recommend that you be accompanied by at least one of the parents. Your passport application may be denied if we have received written objection from one of your parents or legal guardians. For more information, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s web-page Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program.
Examples of Parental Awareness:
- A parent appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport
- A signed statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent’s ID).
If you do not have a current ID, you must show at least one parent knows that you are applying for a passport.
4. Identification Document
You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs):
- In-state, fully-valid driver’s license
- Valid or expired, undamaged, U.S. passport
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
- Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
- U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
- Valid foreign passport
If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s web-page Identification.
5. Application Photo
You must provide one photo of the child with the application.
- Photo must be 2″ x 2″, or 5cm x 5cm.
- Do not attach your photo to the form before submitting it to our office.
To avoid processing delays, be sure the photo meets all photo requirements.
6. Application Fee
1st Time Adult Applicants:
Current fees for passport services are available here.
Fees are payable at the time of your appointment when you submit your application in either dollars, leke, or by credit card.
7. Schedule an Online Appointment
You can make an appointment by visiting our Online Consular Calendar.
Please note: Electronic devices such tablets, notepads, and/or laptops are not allowed on Embassy grounds; while cellphones can be placed in designated areas inside the security booth.
Receiving your Passport
Full validity passports are printed in the U.S. and are generally available for pickup at the embassy or courier delivery about 7 to 14 business days after your application is accepted. You will receive an automated email when the passport is produced and ready for delivery. If for some reason you do not receive notice from our office, please contact us via email or appear after the above period passes to inquire about the status of your passport.
If you would like to have your new passport delivered via private courier, please inform us at the time you submit your application. The cost for each passport is 500 ALL within Tirana and 600 ALL outside of the Tirana area. Payment is collected by the Albanian Courier office when you pick up your passport. (Please note that passports are not delivered directly to your address but rather at an Albanian Courier delivery point. The Albanian Courier officials will text or call your number to let you know where and when to pick up your passport in your city.)
If you have questions about passports not answered on our website, please email us at ACSTirana@state.gov.