In support of the Government of Albania’s efforts to prevent further spread of COVID-19 by limiting public gatherings and increasing social spacing, the U.S. Embassy has cancelled all routine American citizen services and is providing emergency services only. If you require an emergency service, please write to ACSTirana@state.gov.
All passport applicants over 16 must apply in person. Passports for adults over 16 are only valid for 10 years. All original documents that you will provide at the time of the appointment will be returned to you. Please make sure to bring clear photocopies of these documents for us to keep.
To apply for your first adult (over 16) U.S. passport, you will need:
1. Application Form DS-11
- Please don’t sign the application until you are asked to do so;
- You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f). If you have never been issued a U.S. Social Security number, you must submit a signed statement (PDF). For more information please visit the Frequently Asked Questions provided at the U.S. Department of State’s website.
- List your current physical address in Albania as your “mailing address” in response to question #8, even if you will only be at that location for a few days.
2. U.S. Citizenship Evidence
You must submit one of the following U.S. citizenship documents. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.
- Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
- U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
- Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
- Lists applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth
- Lists the parent(s)’ full names
- Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
- Has the registrar’s signature
- Has the seal of the issuing authority
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Certificate of Citizenship
If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents for your child, or for more information, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s web-page Citizenship Evidence.
3. Parental Awareness (if applicable)
If you have your own current identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport. You must show at least one parent or guardian knows that you are applying for a passport. We recommend that you be accompanied by at least one of the parents. Your passport application may be denied if we have received written objection from one of your parents or legal guardians. For more information, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s web-page Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program.
Examples of Parental Awareness:
- A parent appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport
- A signed statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent’s ID).
If you do not have a current ID, you must show at least one parent knows that you are applying for a passport.
4. Identification Document
You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs):
- In-state, fully-valid driver’s license
- Valid or expired, undamaged, U.S. passport
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
- Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
- U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
- Valid foreign passport
If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s web-page Identification.
5. Application Photo
You must provide one photo of the child with the application.
- Photo must be 2″ x 2″, or 5cm x 5cm.
- Do not attach your photo to the form before submitting it to our office.
To avoid processing delays, be sure the photo meets all photo requirements.
6. Application Fee
1st Time Adult Applicants:
|Product||Application Fee||Execution Fee||Total|
|Passport Book Only||$110||$35||$145|
|Passport Card Only||$30||$35||$65|
|Passport Book & Card Both||$140||$35||$175|
Fees are payable at the time of your appointment when you submit your application in either dollars, leke, or by credit card.
7. Schedule an Online Appointment
You can make an appointment by visiting our Online Consular Calendar.
Please note: Electronic devices such tablets, notepads, and/or laptops are not allowed on Embassy grounds; while cellphones can be placed in designated areas inside the security booth.
Receiving your Passport
Full validity passports are printed in the U.S. and are generally available for pickup at the embassy or courier delivery about 7 to 14 business days after your application is accepted. You will receive an automated email when the passport is produced and ready for delivery. If for some reason you do not receive notice from our office, please contact us via email or appear after the above period passes to inquire about the status of your passport.
If you would like to have your new passport delivered via private courier, please inform us at the time you submit your application. The cost for each passport is 500 ALL within Tirana and 600 ALL outside of the Tirana area. Payment is collected by the Albanian Courier office when you pick up your passport. (Please note that passports are not delivered directly to your address but rather at an Albanian Courier delivery point. The Albanian Courier officials will text or call your number to let you know where and when to pick up your passport in your city.)
If you have questions about passports not answered on our website, please email us at ACSTirana@state.gov.