A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) application must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we strongly recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

A CRBA is not a travel document.  We recommended that you submit an application for your child’s U.S. passport at the same time.  Applications may be submitted together at your scheduled appointment.  Even if your child holds another nationality, he or she must enter and exit the United States on a U.S. passport.