A child born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents is eligible for U.S. citizenship if the parent(s) meets the requirements for transmitting U.S. citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act.  U.S. citizens eligible to transmit citizenship are required to file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) as instructed at this page.  Follow the links to start the process for a child under the age of 18.

Over the age of 18? Please see our instructions provided at our webpage “Citizenship Services” for claiming U.S. citizenship.