The U.S. Embassy in Tirana informs U.S. citizens of heightened security based upon possible security concerns surrounding the World Cup qualifying match between Albania and Israel on November 12, in Elbasan. The Embassy is not aware of any specific threats against U.S. citizens or interests. However, U.S. citizens should remain vigilant and exercise caution if they elect to attend the event. Citizens should monitor local media and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
All U.S. visitors or residents in Albania should be aware of their local security situation and review our Europe Travel Alert.
Specific safety concerns should be addressed to Albanian law enforcement authorities who are responsible for the safety of all visitors to Albania.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Albania’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Albania, located at Rruga Elbasanit Nr. 103, at +355-(0)-4224-7285, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +355-(0)-4224-7285.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.