The U.S. Embassy in Tirana informs U.S. citizens that heavy rains have caused flooding in large portions of Albania. Media reports indicate that areas of Tirana are flooded and many neighborhoods around Tirana are without power.
Many roads are currently impassable due to the flooding, including the Tirana- Durres highway and the Tirana – Fushe-Kruje highway. The National Civil Emergency Protection Service is recommending that citizens in the affected areas should shelter in place and avoid using their vehicles until the flooding threat has passed.
Additional cities experiencing severe flooding include Durres, Shkoder ,Vlore, Gjirokaster, Kurbin, Tropoje, Lezhe, Milot, Kukes, and Bajram Curri, with several of these areas affected by landslides and blocked roads. Civil authorities have called on the Albanian military to assist with evacuations of citizens in impacted regions.
Weather reports indicate that heavy rain will continue through the end of the week.
The U.S. Embassy in Tirana urges U.S. citizens in the affected regions to defer all non-essential travel until the flooding threat has passed. The U.S. Embassy also encourages all U.S. citizens in Albania to monitor news channels for announcements of road closures, evacuations and possible landslides, and to exercise extreme caution.
U.S. citizens should carry their travel documents at all times (e.g., U.S. passport, birth certificate, picture IDs, etc.) or secure them in a safe, waterproof location. We also suggest that U.S. citizens contact friends and family with updates about their whereabouts. If U.S. citizens find themselves in an emergency situation, they may contact the Albanian Civil Emergency Services by dialing 112 (the Albanian 911 equivalent.)
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Albania’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Albania, located at Rruga Elbasanit Nr. 103, at +355-(0)-4224-7285, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +355-(0)-4224-7285.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.