Location: This notice pertains to polling stations and their immediate environs, counting centers, election administration offices, and any other areas where throngs of people may have gathered.
Event: Parliamentary elections in Albania will take place on Sunday, April 25, 2021. Voting is scheduled from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m, with ballots being cast at more than 5,000 polling stations throughout every Albanian municipality. Counting will follow Sunday’s voting at the counting centers and may last for up to several days in some municipalities.
Past elections have seen localized incidents of violence targeting election officials, those affiliated with political parties, and voting materials, which raises the prospect of possible violence or other disturbances on Sunday, April 25, or in the days following voting. Demonstrations in one city have the potential to spark additional rallies in other locations around the country. Additionally, traffic in the area of the Embassy or central areas of large cities may be impacted by rallies or protests, leading to congestion and related delays.
Actions to Take:
- Remain vigilant around polling places, counting centers, and election offices.
- Avoid any areas where there are demonstrations or large gatherings.
- Avoid any areas where there are signs of unrest or ongoing violence.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile, including avoiding wearing attire with colors of political parties.
- U.S. Embassy Tirana, Albania
+(355) (0)4224-7285 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Albania Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter