Hubert H. Humphrey 2024-25 Fellowship Program
The Embassy of the United States of America in Albania is now accepting applications for the 2024-2025 Hubert H. Humphrey Program. The Humphrey Program sends accomplished mid-career professionals with demonstrated leadership potential to the United States for a year of graduate-level, non-degree academic coursework and professional development activities. Fellows are nominated based on their potential for leadership and commitment to public service.
- Human and Institutional Capacity: Economic Development, Finance & Banking, Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration, Technology Policy and Management
- Rights and Freedoms: Communications and Journalism, Law and Human Rights
- Sustainable Lands: Agricultural and Rural Development, Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change, Urban and Regional Planning
- Thriving Communities: Public Health Policy and Management, Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention, Educational Administration, Planning, and Policy
Duration of Grant
The Humphrey Fellowship is a 10-month program. Fellows are required to return to Albania for at least two (2) years at the conclusion of their fellowship. Family members may be eligible to accompany fellows on a case-by-case basis. The Humphrey Fellowship stipend is sufficient only to support the Fellow. All expenses for dependents must be covered by the Fellow. Family members are also subject to the two-year home residency requirement.
- Applicants must be citizens of the Republic of Albania
- Applicants must have a four-year university degree of full-time studies (or three + one, three + two in the Bologna system)
- Applicants must be currently employed in Albania
- Applicants must have a minimum of five years of full-time professional experience in the relevant field of study
- Applicants must be proficient in oral and written English (equivalent to the B2 level; include TOEFL or IELTS test scores if available.)
- Applicants must have a valid TOEFL or IELTS score (minimum of 82 pts IBT for TOEFL and a score range of 6.0-7.0 for IELTS) by September 1, 2023
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership qualities and a commitment to public service.
- Applicants must be eligible for a J-1 visa
- Applicants must receive a satisfactory medical clearance
Ineligible candidates include:
- Recent university graduates;
- University teachers or academic researchers with no management responsibilities (except in the fields of Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment and Teaching of English as a Foreign Language);
- Individuals who have attended a graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to August 2023.
- Individuals with substantial in-country U.S. experience of any kind lasting more than six months during the five years prior to August 2023; and
- Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status, immediate family members of U.S. Embassy employees may not apply to the program; they are ineligible for a J-1 visa.
- Local employees of U.S. Missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and members of their families
- A candidate with recent third-country experience, especially in developed countries, may have a less compelling need for the Humphrey Program than a candidate who has never had a significant professional opportunity abroad.
The Humphrey Fellowship provides tuition and university fees, a monthly maintenance allowance, a book and supplies allowance, a computer subsidy, round-trip international travel to the host institution (and to the Fellow’s English-language training program when applicable) and domestic travel to Washington, D.C. for a special seminar. Supplementary funds are available for professional activities such as field trips or attendance at conferences. Humphrey Fellowships are not renewable.
All interested applicants must fill in the Hubert H. Humphrey application online. Click https://apply.iie.org/HHH2024 for the online application form, create an account, and then log in to start a new application. Submit the complete application forms electronically including scanned copies of all required documents no later than June 30, 2023.
However, to be considered for the scholarship, the actual application form must still be filled out and submitted online.
A complete application includes:
- Application form (generated by the Embark system including attachments available in the system)
- Two letters of reference
- Detailed Curriculum vitae
- Translated and notarized copies of university diploma(s) and grade transcripts from all higher educational institutions attended
- Letter from employer confirming employment
- Copy of passport bio page
- Copies of certificates from previous trainings (valid to field of study only)
For further information, contact: Public Affairs Office, U.S. Embassy Tirana via e-mail at CultureandEducationTirana@state.gov
Please note applications received after June 30, 2023, emailed as Google Docs or via We Transfer will not be accepted or considered.