Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 100,000 reported cases worldwide.
On March 9, 2020 the Albanian Ministry of Health and Social Protection announced the first two confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Albania. To contain and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in the country, the Government of Albania has:
- Closed all schools from March 10, 2020 until March 23, 2020.
- Cancelled all sporting events, cultural events and other large public gatherings in Albania until April 3, 2020.
- Suspended all flights and ferries between Tirana and northern Italy until April 3, 2020. Flights and ferries to southern Italy continue to operate normally.
- Implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Albanian Ministry of Health and Social Protection and the Institute of Public Health for additional information on these new measures.
- Required that all individuals who have traveled to a S. Department of State Level 4 Travel Advisory area within the last 14 days must self-quarantine or else face administrative fines; further those who are concerned they may have contracted COVID-19 through exposure to other vectors are also asked to self-quarantine at home and contact the Albanian government at the medical emergency phone number 127 should symptoms consistent with the virus appear. English speaking staff are available to assist non-Albanian speakers.
Actions to Take:
- Stay home and contact the Albanian National Medical Emergency line at 127 if you believe that you have contracted the COVID-19 virus. Wait for guidance before going to a medical facility.
- Visit the Albanian government COVID-19 website for updated information.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Albania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- U.S. Embassy Tirana, Albania
+(355) (0)4224-7285 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Albania Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter