Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program 2024 – 2025
The Embassy of the United States in Tirana is now accepting applications for the 2024 – 2025 Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program. The Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program is a three to six-month (final decision made by the Embassy) non-degree, post-doctoral award program for junior and senior researchers, university lecturers, and experts from academic and research institutions in Albania to conduct research and/or lecture at a university in the United States. Fellowships are merit-based and awarded competitively.
Applications are open to all fields of study. Please select the most appropriate major academic discipline and primary specialization from the drop-down list in the application form.
Note: Per J-1 visa regulations, applicants interested in medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacology or other clinical fields of study, should be aware that direct patient care, including animal care, is not permitted, and therefore academic coursework and/or program activities at participating U.S. institutions may be limited.
Duration of Grant
Fellowships are generally awarded for three to six months at a university in the United States, depending on costs and availability of funds. Fellows are required to return to Albania for at least two (2) years at the conclusion of their fellowship. Family members may be eligible to accompany Fellows on a case-by-case basis. They are also subject to the 2-year home residency rule.
- Applicants must be citizens of the Republic of Albania
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. in their academic field of study
- Applicants must have a minimum of five years of teaching and/or research experience at an Albanian university or other research institution
- Applicants must be proficient in oral and written English (equivalent to B2 level – minimum score 82; TOEFL test scores are not required at the time of application)
- Applicants must be eligible for a J-1 visa
- Applicants must receive a satisfactory medical clearance
Note: Individuals who fall under one of the following categories: U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents, immediate family members of U.S. Embassy employees, recipients of Fulbright grants within the last five years, students already registered at or attending study programs in the United States or with more than one year of previous study in the United States, individuals employed in the United States, those married to American citizens, those who have applied to immigrate or those have sought asylum in another country are not eligible to apply for the Fulbright Program.
The Fulbright Fellowship provides a monthly maintenance allowance, professional allowance, and round-trip international travel to the host institution. Supplementary funds are available for professional activities such as field trips or attendance at conferences. The Fulbright Grant is not renewable.
All interested applicants must complete the Fulbright Visiting Scholar application online https://apply.iie.org/fvsp2024/. Click 2024 Fulbright Visiting Scholar for the online application form, create an account, and then log in to start a new application. Submit the complete application forms electronically and scanned copies of all required documents no later than July 15, 2023. All required documents should be submitted online in order for the application to be further reviewed.
A complete application includes:
- Application form (generated by the Embark system including attachments available in the system)
- Detailed statement of proposed activity (3-5 pages)
- Detailed curriculum vitae
- Three reference letters
- Copy of passport bio page
- Translated and notarized copy of diplomas and grade transcripts (Bachelor, Master’s and Doctoral degree)
- Other certificates received (related to field of study only)
- Letter from employer confirming employment
- Letters of invitation or appointment from U.S. institutions (preferred but not required)
For further information, contact: Public Affairs Office, U.S. Embassy Tirana via e-mail at CultureandEducationTirana@state.gov
Please note: Applications received in the Embark system after July 15, 2023, emailed as Google Docs, or via We Transfer will not be accepted or considered.