The U.S. Embassy in Tirana Albania is pleased to announce a new exchange scholarship program, Ambassadors Fund for Summer Work and Travel. For the Summer 2022 program we are targeting students at Eqerem Cabej University in Gjirokaster.
The Ambassadors Fund for Summer Work and Travel (AFSWT) is a three-month program for undergraduate and graduate students from Albanian universities who are interested in working in the United States during the summer and traveling to learn more about American culture and society. Scholarships are awarded competitively to students who demonstrate commitment to bring the American experience back to their home institutions and promote American culture and values. Pending availability of funds, 11 students from Eqerem Cabej University in Gjirokaster will be selected through a merit-based process to participate in the AFSWT program during the summer of 2022.
The U.S. Embassy will work closely with two implementing U.S.-based partner organizations, CIEE and InterExchange, and their official local representative Narom Travel Albania to recruit, screen, select, and support the student applicants, and to secure front-facing job placements for them with top U.S. host employers in several seasonal communities across the United States. These placements will ensure that all participants work alongside and interact regularly with U.S. citizens during the workday and have opportunities to engage in cultural activities or events outside of work. Participants will interact frequently and substantially with U.S. citizens, practice speaking English, and gain exposure to American business and customer service practices.
Eligible candidates for the Ambassadors Fund for Summer Work Travel Program, must meet the following criteria:
- Citizen and resident of Albania.
- 18 – 24 years of age.
- Currently enrolled in full-time programs and studying in Albania
- Demonstrate strong academic records
- Have a good command of written and spoken English
- Be tolerant, flexible, responsible individuals highly interested in working in the United States
- Eligible to receive and maintain an exchange visa (J-1) required for the program.
- Have a confirmed, vetted job placement in the United States at the time of the visa interview.
- Be committed to return to Albania immediately upon the completion of the program.
- Note: Final-year students may apply, though they may have more difficulty proving sufficient ties to Albania. Less than one year of university may not be deemed a sufficiently significant investment in one’s education to establish ties to Albania.
- Part-time students, as well as those attending vocational, distance learning, and secondary schools for adults do not qualify for the Summer Work Travel program.
- Citizens and permanent residents of the United States.
- Individuals currently studying, residing, or working outside of their home country.
- A complete application consists of the following components:
- The completed application form
- Copy of passport bio page or ID Card
- Official academic transcripts for years of university study (with English translations)
- Official Attestation of Student Enrollment Status for academic year 2021/2022
English Language Ability
A TOEFL score is not required at the time of application. Selected candidates will be requested to take an English language enhancement program with English Language Fellow.
- Online application form
- Scanned copy of the passport bio-page or ID Card
- Grade transcripts
- University official statement of registration as full-time student for the academic year 2021-2022
Ambassadors Fund for Summer Work and Travel program will cover the following related expenses for the program:
- Transportation (one airfare round-trip travel, transport to job site, airport transfers)
- Application Fee (includes applicant recruitment, screening and vetting interviews)
- Program and logistical support in the United States (includes identifying job opportunities, housing options, cultural and travel programs)
- Sickness and Accident Insurance Plan
- Administrative Costs (Shipping, Reprint)
- SEVIS Fee (USG Fee)
- Visa Interview MRV Fee
Applicants must be able to match the above costs for settling in allowance upon arrival with $1,000USD.
All interested candidates must APPLY ONLINE using the link below:
All applications must be submitted by December 29, 2021 @12:00p.m.