The 2021-2022 Global UGRAD Student Application is now open!
Deadline: February 28th, 2021
The Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGRAD) provides a diverse group of emerging student leaders with a scholarship for one semester of non-degree academic study at a U.S. college or university. Global UGRAD is a program of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State, and aims to recruit participants from underrepresented backgrounds who have not had other opportunities to study in the United States. Successful applicants can expect an in-depth exposure to U.S. society, culture, and academic institutions, as well as opportunities to enhance their professional skills. The program is highly competitive, and merit based. Finalists will be selected based on academic excellence, leadership potential, and their preparedness for study in the United States.
All participants will be enrolled in full-time, non-degree, undergraduate coursework chosen from their host institution’s existing curriculum. Participants will be required to take one, 3-credit U.S. studies course to enhance their understanding of the United States. Participants will live in campus housing facilities with American peers, and will be required to participate in twenty hours of community service. Global UGRAD alumni often go on to receive Fulbright grants, obtain prestigious international internships, and work in business and government in their home countries.
FIELDS OF STUDY
Global UGRAD is open to all academic fields of study and does not discriminate based on race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, or disability.
The Global UGRAD Program is open to anyone who is/has:
- Applicants are over 18 years of age.
- Applicants must be a citizen of Albania.
- Applicants must be studying in Albania.
- Scholarships will be granted to students who currently are enrolled in full-time undergraduate programs only, having completed a minimum of their first semester of study. Participants must have at least one semester or an equivalent term to complete at their home institutions upon completion of the Global UGRAD Program.
- Applicants should demonstrate leadership potential through academic work, community involvement, and extracurricular activities.
- A solid command of written and spoken English (English Language training for some finalists is possible);
- Preference will be given to those who have had little or no experience in the United States or outside of their home countries.
- Eligible to receive and maintain a U.S. student exchange visa (J-1) required for the program.
- Applicants are required to return directly to their home country after the completion of the program.
Individuals in the following circumstances are not eligible for the Global UGRAD Program:
- Citizens and permanent residents of the United States.
- Individuals currently studying, residing, or working outside of their home country.
- Local employees and immediate family members of the U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID); employees are also ineligible for one year following the termination of employment.
- Current World Learning employees and their immediate family members.
A complete application consists of the following components:
- The completed application form
- Two essays
- Copy of passport bio page or ID Card
- Official academic transcripts for years of university study (with English translations)
- Two letters of reference (with English translations). One reference letter must be academic and written by a professor or assistant professor from the candidate’s major field of study. A second reference may come from a non-academic aspect of the candidate’s life and work.
English Language Ability
A TOEFL score is not required at the time of application. Selected candidates will be requested to take the Official TOEFL test. The program will cover the cost of the Official test. Applicants must achieve a minimum TOEFL score of 48iBT.
APPLICATIONS INSTRUCTIONS: It is required that interested candidates APPLY ONLINE!
Get Started! Click 2021 Global UGRAD online application to start your application!
The deadline is February 28, 2021 5PM EST (11:00 PM Albanian Time).
FOR ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS please contact: EducationandCultureTirana@america.gov
To register for the Program and complete the UGRAD application use Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. We do NOT recommend using a mobile phone or Internet Explorer. Don’t use special characters/accents. The system only recognizes the English alphabet. Review your work! Only click “submit” if you are 100% ready to do so. Until then, click “save”.
(Please read all instructions and information carefully before completing application)