Location: Gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following areas in Albania:
- Parliament Building (Tirana)
- Prime Minister’s Office (Tirana)
- Other government buildings (Nationwide)
- Main highway junctions with roadblocks (Nationwide)
Event: Recurring demonstrations are expected to take place throughout Albania for an undetermined period of time, with the possibility they may become violent. The exact dates and duration of these demonstrations are unknown. Recent demonstrations have included violence, with some demonstrators using projectiles including explosive devices, Molotov cocktails, and rocks. Security forces have responded with water cannons and tear gas to disperse crowds.
U.S. Embassy personnel and family members have been directed to avoid all gathering points and locations where demonstrations are imminent or ongoing.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large gatherings and any areas where demonstrations are imminent or ongoing.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile
- U.S. Embassy Tirana, Albania
+(355) (0)4224-7285 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Albania Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter