Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following areas in Tirana, Albania:
- Karl Topia Square, also called “Zogu i Zi”
- Qyteti Studenti (Student City)
- Selman Stermasi Stadium
- Rruga George W. Bush, in front of the Albanian Parliament
Event: A demonstration is expected to take place on February 21, 2019. Demonstrators will reportedly gather at approximately 9:00 a.m. at the Karl Topia Square, also called Zogu i Zi, Qyteti Studenti (Student City), Selman Stermasi Stadium, and other locations around the city. Protesters are then expected to march towards Rruga George W. Bush, to gather in front of the Albanian Parliament around 10:00 a.m. The group intends to demonstrate against the Albanian government. The duration of the demonstration is unknown and it is possible demonstrators may march to new locations during their protest. The potential for violence exists. A similar demonstration on February 16, 2019, turned violent and resulted in multiple injuries to demonstrators and police.
U.S. Embassy personnel and family members have been directed to avoid all gathering points and locations where demonstrations are imminent or ongoing.
On February 21, 2019, from 8:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. entry and exit from the U.S. Embassy will be restricted. Routine consular services scheduled for the morning have been cancelled. Afternoon consular operations are scheduled to resume as normal.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large gatherings and any areas where demonstrations are imminent or ongoing, to include all demonstration gathering points.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Tirana, Albania
+(355) (0)4224-7285 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Albania Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter