All applications must be submitted by December 8, 2022 @12:00p.m.
The U.S. Embassy in Tirana Albania is pleased to announce the call for applications for the Ambassadors Fund for Summer Work and Travel scholarship program. The Summer 2023 program is for students pursuing studies in Tourism and Hospitality at Eqerem Cabej University in Gjirokaster, Fan S. Noli University in Korçe, and Aleksander Moisiu University in Durres.
The Ambassadors Fund for Summer Work and Travel (AFSWT) is a three-month program for undergraduate and graduate students from Albanian universities interested in working in the United States during the summer and traveling to learn more about American culture and values. Scholarships are awarded competitively to students who demonstrate commitment to bring the American experience back to their home institutions and promote American culture and values. Pending availability of funds, 15 students Eqerem Cabej University, Fan S. Noli University, and Aleksander Moisiu University, will be selected through a merit-based process to participate in the AFSWT program during the Summer 2023. Priority will be given to students from low-income families.
The U.S. Embassy will work closely with two implementing U.S.-based partner organizations, CIEE and InterExchange, and their official local representative Narom Travel Albania to recruit, screen, select, and support the student applicants and to secure front-facing job placements for them with top U.S. host employers in several seasonal communities across the U.S. These placements will ensure that all participants work alongside and interact regularly with U.S. citizens and have opportunities to engage in cultural activities or events outside of work. These placements will allow for participants to interact frequently and substantially with U.S. citizens, practice speaking English, and gain exposure to American business practices and customer service and relations.
Eligible candidates for the Ambassadors Fund for Summer Work Travel Program must meet the following criteria:
- Citizen and resident of Albania
- 18–24 years old
- Currently enrolled in full-time degree program in Tourism and Hospitality at Eqerem Cabej University, Fan S. Noli University, or Aleksander Moisiu University
- Demonstrate strong academic records
- Have a good command of written and spoken English
- Be a tolerant, flexible, responsible individual highly interested in working in the United States
- Eligible to receive and maintain an exchange visa (J-1) required for the program.
- Have a confirmed, vetted job placement in the United States at the time of the visa interview.
- Be committed to return to Albania immediately upon the completion of the program.
- Part-time university students, as well as those attending vocational, distance learning, and secondary schools for adults
- Citizens and permanent residents of the United States
- Individuals currently studying, residing, or working outside of their home country
- Individuals who have participated in the Summer Work & Travel program before
A complete application consists of the following components:
- The application form
- Scanned copy of passport bio page or ID Card
- Official academic transcripts (in Albanian and with English translations); 1st year BA student applicants may submit the high school diploma and grade transcripts
- Official Attestation of Student Enrollment Status for academic year 2022/2023
- One photo 5x5cm (taken in the last in the last 6 months)
- Proof of Covid 19 vaccination
ENGLISH LANGUAGE ABILITY
Applicants must be proficient in oral and written English. A TOEFL score is not required at the time of application.
Ambassadors Fund for Summer Work and Travel Program will cover the following related expenses for the program:
- Transportation (one airfare round trip travel, transport to job site, airport transfers)
- Application Fee (includes applicant recruitment, screening and vetting interviews)
- Support in the United States
- Sickness and Accident Insurance Plan
- Administrative Costs (Shipping, Reprint)
- SEVIS Fee (USG Fee)
- Visa Interview MRV Fee
Applicants must have some personal funds available for essential living expenses upon arriving.
For the first stage all interested candidates must submit the application package via email to CultureandEducationTirana@state.gov.
Top candidates selected for nomination for the Ambassadors Fund for Summer Work and Travel will be required to complete the online application.